2.06.2007

This week's important cultural questions

Is it wrong that whenever I eat Wiener schnitzel, I can't help thinking how much better it would taste with ranch dressing?

Does explaining to my students the original meaning of "pimp" and watching understanding dawn as they make the connection to 50 Cent count as an instructional breakthrough?

How does one respond to the student who asks if the US still has a problem with child slavery?

Would American schools allow a student to wear a necklace with a large marijuana leaf-shaped pendant? Is it possible that Austrian school officials don't recognize it?

Why are Austrians so enamored of the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I found your blog by way of your knitting blog, I live between Graz and Vienna. I am wondering about the pattern of your sockapalooza sock (I think this is what it was called - how did you make it?) Did you bring your spinning wheel? I would very much like to try spinning but I know nobody who could show me. A year ago I got a drop spindle though and got along quite well (for my first attempt, that is).
I had no idea somebody might find it strange to sleep behind doors closed with keys, I wonder how you do it in the U.S.? Don't you close the doors too? Or do you have doors that can always be pushed open from the inside? I think these get installed only in some public places here. I think many Austrians would feel quite uneasy to have to sleep behind a door that is not properly locked with a key. It is strange how different these things are between one country and another, isn't it?
Also, as I'm working as a teacher myself I can assure you that most Austrian teachers recognize the hemp leaf fairly well, but they also use their judgement about the pupils who wear such an ornament - do they behave normally and do they pursue their studies? Then we do not worry. Maybe we ask them about their reason why they are wearing the ornament if we see it for the first time. Like we do when we see a new hairstyle or other statement about our pupils' persons (T-shirt messages and so on).
I wish you a very pleasant time in Klagenfurt - and if you get the chance go to Venice during Carneval. It is very crowded but als very beautiful. If you can't get a bed in Venice Youth Hostel just try your luck in Padova! It is a little bit cheaper there and the train ride is fairly short from Padova to Venice. Best wishes! Barbara

9 February 2007 at 23:32  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home